Wednesday, January 2, 2008

So many Knitty Tales to Tell!

First off Happy New Year to all you crafty people out there!

So far having a lovely visit to WI although glad to remember that I am not all that fond of winters here and gladly go back to the desert....

Big Sis spoiled me a bit this Christmas. Going to get me started on beaded knitting (which may involve a lot of swearing on my part....). She got me a book called Beaded Knitted Bags and some starter supples and a gift certificate for beads. So far have supplies to do the first two projects-a bracelet and a little purse. Nephew got me a book as well-Super Stiches Knitting with some fabulous stitch patterns. Get so excited for those.....

Been working on mohair wrap (Fonty's Ombelle in purple-no fancy color name just purple) called Wisp. Made quite a bit of progress on it since I've been here in WI. And I am quite excited that I have inspired another knitter to knit up her own version.










Had a wonderful visit with the Bechers along with Sis and nephew--although I'm pretty sure I shared my cold with the children-feel rather bad about that one..... Want to thank 'Boris and Clementine' for letting us stay with them over New Years.
D-fly and I had a blast haing out at Clementine's yarn shopping, knitting, and chatting with fellow knitters (Cami, Melly, Leeanne, and Robyn) and munching on Melly's yummy popcorn (which I relaly shouldn't eat with the braces but it was too tasty to resist....). Now for pics of two of my purchases















The first is a Crystal Palace yarn-Waikiki in Shell and its going to become a wrap known as Clapotis. The second of course is Lotus Yarn! I picked the Nirvana in the color Prayers for Rain (which we decided was a perfect color since I live in the desert...). This yarn will be socks--thats right I said socks! Which brings me to my third purchase and how the lovely Cami showed D-fly and I to knit socks toe-up using the magic cast-on with the 'magic loop' way. Took me a few trys to get the hang of the magic cast on but I got it! And it really does make a fabolous toe--I really have issues with sock ends and if there is no seem or anything the happier my toes will be.















The sock is being knitted with Opal sock yarn in Neon colorway. I have long feet with narrow long toes that slant towards the big toe (also known as monkey toes) so I had started with less stitches and didn't have to increase as much. I am almost to the point where I could start the heel (doing the short row heel this time around....). So very exciting! Big sis and I have discovered that she is a snugger and faster knitter than I (You should see her tiny little stiches in her sock!-my goodness!). I have more time to knit so I tend to get more done so we didn't realize that we were so different in speed until we got to sit around and knit together....
Well I think I covered everything.....Happy crafting!
--Mojave Knitter

3 comments:

camillaknits said...

I just saw on the new Lucy Neatby Socks 2 DVD that she works the short row heel on 60% of the stitches... have you guys gotten there yet? your sock looks fabulous... are you thrilled with it? Cami

camillaknits said...

that should be My new... the DVD has been out for over a year... I'm just getting around to my personal skill enhancement *blush* Cami

melly~ said...

sock looks awesome! I too will be doing magic toe loop socks here soon. I've heard resistance is futile...
Nice to meet you and your sister.
Glad to hear you all made it home safe and sound.
Happy New Year!

Goldstone

Goldstone
Picture of the environment I worked at for my last job (that is a NASA satellite in the background)