Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Year... New Beginnings....?



Normally for New Year’s one can make resolutions; to better oneself, change up one’s routine, try something new, do something for the greater good, etc.  And I had these plans…  I wanted to do more charity knitting (and crocheting), do more charity type activities in general, go to places I haven’t been (local counts), practice my crocheting and/or spindle spinning, ya get the idea…

But life had other plans… As you all know I am an archaeologist which can be an unreliable field… .  And according to Forbes, an Anthropology/Archaeology degree is the least valuable degree to get (beating out Philosophy!)  Archaeology I believe is greatly affected by current politics and what projects will move forward that require our services.  So what does this have to do with me specifically?  I was laid off in January cause the company I was working for did not have enough projects to keep me employed.  And I wasn’t the only one, other offices downsized as well and I know some of these people that were laid off and they are good workers but if there is no work there is no work… 

I have been working for a different company as a seasonal field tech which means a lot of time away from home but I’m working in my field.  I have been looking for a permanent job when I’m home and exploring other options for my career life.  As I said life had other plans... it did knock me down but after some wallowing (a weekend), I pulled myself together, figured out my finances and went from there and so far I'm doing just fine.  Could it be better?  Probably.  Am I going to get hung up by this?  Nope.

As for those resolutions I was planning for?  Well I have been doing charity stuffs – crocheted three snuggles for a local animal shelter; knitted a few preemie hats and plan on knitting more.  And I’m sure there will be other charity items I will do… 





 
I did add a resolution of not buying any yarn as part of my new budget (this doesn’t mean yarn isn’t coming in…) and really knitting from my stash.  There are a plenty of projects for me to work on and I’ve already gotten quite a bit done…  I have been practicing my crocheting – getting used to holding the yarn and getting the rhythm of it (see snuggles above). 


The Mojave Desert!
Awesome Arizona scenery
 Technically I have been to new places… (bonus of being an archaeologist), last November I worked in AZ and that was some stunning scenery I got to witness and currently been in new areas of the Mojave Desert.   

 I have checked out some local events here in Vegas that I haven’t done before, First Friday for example which was quite fun.  And recently went to an Alpaca festival.  And I’ve made new friends which is always a good thing. 
Alpacas!

Alpacas look silly after they've been sheared




















Some other things have happened in my life but I'm not ready to discuss them in this forum yet so stay tuned! 

2 comments:

Kellee said...

Life has totally kicked you in the nads recently, and you have handled it all quite gracefully and in stride. xoxo

Enid said...

quite a selection of FOs; the crochet is doing well
until next time
(aka knitcroc)
xxxxx

Goldstone

Goldstone
Picture of the environment I worked at for my last job (that is a NASA satellite in the background)